John E. D. Larkin
Assistant: Julie Smith
John “Jack” Larkin focuses his practice on litigation and appeals. He has particular experience in technology law and emerging legal issues in scientific fields like the environment, computer science, and communications. Before coming to Gawthrop Greenwood, he practiced as an Assistant District Attorney in the Appeals Division of the Montgomery County District Attorney’s Office, where he argued regularly in front of the Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas and Superior Court.
Jack is a graduate of Villanova Law School. While there he received the Pennsylvania Environmental Law Forum scholarship and was a Dean’s Merit Scholar. He has also received the Philadelphia Trial Lawyers’ Association’s James J. Mandarino Award for Excellence in Trial Advocacy.
Jack’s published works have appeared in law journals at the Georgetown University School of Law, the University of Florida Law School, and the American Journal of Trial Advocacy, as well as in the Pennsylvania Bar Association’s At Issue publication. His most recent article appeared in the Vanderbilt Journal of Entertainment and Technology Law, and analyzes the compelled production of encrypted data. Jack is the founder and editor of a daily blog reporting on developments in Pennsylvania law located at http://www.PaCases.com/.
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Montgomery County Bar Association
- Chester County Bar Association
- Lower Merion (HS)
- Oberlin College (BA)
- Villanova Law School (JD)
- Third Circuit Court of Appeals
- District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania (and Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania)
- The United States Tax Court
- John E. D. Larkin, Compelled Production of Encrypted Data, 14 Vanderbilt J. Ent. & Tech. L 253 (2012).
- John E. D. Larkin, A Proposed Framework for Evaluating Effectiveness of Counsel Under Padilla v. Kentucky, 34 Am. J. Trial Advocacy 565 (2011).
- John E. D. Larkin, Criminal & Civil Liability for User Generated Content, 15 J. Tech. L. & Pol’y 85 (2010).
- John E. D. Larkin, UNCLOS and the Balance of Environmental & Economic Resources in the Arctic, 22 Geo. Int’l Envtl. L.Rev. 307 (2010).
- John E. D. Larkin, How Young Lawyers Can Excel At eDiscovery, At Issue (Summer 2010).
- Commonwealth v. Benson, 12 A.3d 1268 (Pa. Super. 2010)
- Commonwealth v. DiPanfilo, 993 A.2d 1262 (Pa. Super. 2010)
Past Employment Positions
Prior to joining Gawthrop Greenwood’s litigation division, Jack was an Assistant District Attorney in the Appeals Division of the Montgomery County District Attorney’s Office. There, he practiced in the criminal field at both the trial and appellate level, before all three levels of the Pennsylvania state courts, as well as the Eastern District Court and Third Circuit Court of Appeals.
Honors & Awards:
- Oberlin College Cole Scholar
- Oberlin College Graduation Honors
- Villanova Law School Dean’s Merit Scholar
- Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association’s James J. Mandarino Award for Excellence in Trial Advocacy.