Stephen J. Olsen concentrates his practice in taxation, trust and estate planning and administration, business transactional matters, and business succession planning. Mr. Olsen received his law degree, cum laude, and his Master of Laws in Taxation (3.97 GPA) from Villanova University School of Law. During law school, Mr. Olsen served in the Federal Tax Clinic representing low income taxpayers before the IRS and Tax Court, and participated in the VITA tax preparation program for low income taxpayers. Mr. Olsen received his undergraduate degree in economics, with honors, from Lycoming College, where he was a member of the scholars program.
In addition to working at Gawthrop Greenwood, Mr. Olsen is currently assisting in the preparation of supplements and the new edition of the seminal tax procedure treatise, IRS Practice and Procedure (Rev. 2d ed.) (WG&L 2002), written by Michael Saltzman and Leslie Book. He is also Chester County’s County Coordinator for the Wills for Heroes program, serves on the steering committee of the Chester County Community Foundation’s (CCCF) Imprints Program and is a Board Member for Aid then Trade.
Mr. Olsen is admitted to practice in Pennsylvania, Washington, DC and before the tax court. He is a member of the Chester County, Pennsylvania, Washington, DC, and American Bar Associations. He is also a member of the committees on taxation of the Pennsylvania and the American Bar Association, and a member of the Chester County Estate Planning Council.
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Chester County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Committee on Taxation – Member
- Washington, D.C. Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Committee on Taxation
- Chester County Estate Planning Council
- Villanova University School of Law, Villanova, Pennsylvania, LL.M., Taxation
- Villanova University School of Law, Villanova, PA, J.D.
- Honors: Cum Laude
- Lycoming College, Williamsport, Pennsylvania, B.A., Economics
- U.S. Tax Court
- Washington, D.C.
- Wills for Heroes Program – Chester County Coordinator
- Chester County Community Foundation, Imprints Program – Member, Steering Committee
- Aid then Trade – Board Member
- DNB First, Wealth Management – Member, Advisory Committee
- Chuck vs. Goliath: Basis of Stock Received in Demutualization of Mutual Insurance Companies, ___ HBTLJ ___ (2009) (pdf file – 201k)
- Temporary Repeal of the Federal Estate Tax (pdf file – 29k)
- Pennsylvania Tax Amnesty Program 2010 (pdf file – 853k)
- Changes Abounded in 2009 to Federal Tax Law (pdf file – 192k)
- Recovery Act Tax Changes for Individuals (pdf file – 877k)
- Recovery Act Tax Changes for Business Owners (pdf file – 834k)