Assistant: Lynn Johnson
With a practice that emphasizes family law, Walter Eells has extensive litigation experience in both the Family and Orphans’ Courts of the Commonwealth. Mr. Eells serves as the Chair of the firm’s Family Law group, which offers clients advice involving: adoptions, alimony, equitable distribution, custody, and prenuptial and post-nuptial agreements. He previously served as the Chairperson appointed by the Chester County Court of Common Pleas to review and revise the Local Family Court Rules. A former winner of the Chester County Bar Association Public Service Award, Mr. Eells has worked closely over the years with Legal Aid of Chester County and the Domestic Violence Center of Chester County as pro bono counsel.
Prior to joining Gawthrop Greenwood, Mr. Eells served as a Captain in the United States Army Judge Advocate General Corps. He is a member of the American Bar Association, Family Law Section, and is active in the Chester County Bar Association, having served for a number of years as the Chairman of the Continuing Legal Education Committee.
Mr. Eells was admitted to the Pennsylvania Bar in 1985 and the New Jersey Bar in 1989. He received his law degree from Ohio Northern University and his undergraduate degree from Villanova University. Mr. Eells is a Barrister of the Honorable John E. Stively, Jr., American Inn of Court.
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Chester County Bar Association
- Continuing Legal Education Committee – Chairman, 1995 – 1998
- Naturalization Committee – Chairman, 1991 – 1992
- Chester County Joint Committee on Local Family Court Rules – Chairman, 2005
- Ohio Northern University Pettit College of Law, Ada, Ohio, J.D.
- Villanova University, Villanova, Pennsylvania, B.A., English
- Pennsylvania, 1985
- New Jersey, 1989
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1989
- U.S. Army Court of Criminal Appeals, 1986
- Legal Aid of Chester County – Volunteer
- Domestic Violence Center of Chester County - Volunteer
- CLE – Support in Chester County, Chester County Bar Association, 1995
- CLE – New Chester County Family Court Rules in a Nutshell, Chester County Bar Association, 2004
Past Employment Positions:
- United States Army, Judge Advocate General, 1986 – 1989
Honors and Awards:
- Chester County Bar Association Public Service Award, 1999
- Legal Aid of Chester County, Volunteer Attorney Program, 5 Years of Service Award
- Included in the list of “Top Lawyers – Family Law” by Main Line Today Magazine, 2009 and 2011