A Rich Tradition
Founded in 1904, the law firm of Gawthrop Greenwood has a long tradition of exceptional service to a diverse portfolio of clients in southeastern Pennsylvania and the greater Mid-Atlantic United States. Businesses, government entities and individuals have trusted Gawthrop Greenwood with an assortment of legal matters for more than a century.
Experienced. Respected. Responsive.
At Gawthrop Greenwood, our experienced attorneys offer the individual attention that characterizes a smaller practice with the broad expertise and capabilities of a larger firm. Gawthrop Greenwood is the law firm often selected by other lawyers to provide local representation, or for referral when a case is too complicated or requires expertise in one of our practice areas.
After more than a century of practice, Gawthrop Greenwood has evolved into a diverse, modern practice providing services to businesses, government entities and individuals in a wide assortment of legal areas. Today, our firm provides legal services in more than 15 practice areas ranging from business transactions to banking, to land use, municipal and education issues, to personal injury cases, to tax and insurance matters and estate planning — just to name a few.
While we are deeply committed to local communities in Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, Philadelphia, Lancaster and Berks counties, we also participate in cases on a regional and a national basis.
Our attorneys not only provide excellent legal services, but are involved in the community as well. Our involvement in the community underscores our commitment to providing the highest quality legal services to the area. Our commitment to the legal community is likewise recognized by the fact that several members of Gawthrop Greenwood have been elevated to the judiciary, where they have served the public on the county, state, and federal level.
Gawthrop Greenwood was established in 1904 by Robert S. Gawthrop. During his career, Mr. Gawthrop served as a judge, worked on special commissions, and held the offices of both district attorney and deputy attorney general of Pennsylvania. In 1911, Mr. Gawthrop moved the practice to the Waddell and Pinkerton Building at 119 North High Street, which remained the firm’s home until early 2004, when the firm moved around the corner to its present location at 17 East Gay Street to accommodate its growth.
Mr. Gawthrop was joined by his son Thomas Gawthrop, who eventually was elected Chester County District Attorney, continuing the firm’s tradition of public service. Yet another son, Robert S. Gawthrop Jr., and W. Edward Greenwood joined the firm in the 1940′s. In 1957, Thomas Gawthrop was appointed to the bench and also in that year, the firm’s name was changed to Gawthrop and Greenwood. In 1960, John Halsted joined the firm. Mr. Halsted also served Chester County as an Assistant District Attorney. In the 1970′s, Robert S. Gawthrop III joined the firm, eventually being elected as a judge to the Court of Common Pleas and, nine years later, he was appointed to the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. In 1979, the firm changed its name to Gawthrop, Greenwood and Halsted. Recently, the firm chose the name “Gawthrop Greenwood” as its trade name.