Our Insurance Law Attorneys:
The Gawthrop Greenwood insurance practice group partners with insurers and self-insureds to provide in-depth experience in risk management and the defense of claims typically managed by insurers, in-house risk managers or third-party administrators. Our experience includes the defense of a wide range of claims, including:
- Professional Errors and Omissions (E & O)
- Municipal/Civil Rights
- Employment Practices
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Transportation and Marine
- Commercial General Liability
These claims can involve a host of uncertain exposures for damages arising from personal injury, property damage and commercial losses. We welcome client consultations before claims become litigation.
Gawthrop Greenwood represents a wide array of entities, professionals and industries, including:
- attorneys and accountants;
- physicians, nursing homes, psychologists, social workers, hospitals and other licensed health care professionals;
- project owners, contractors, architects, engineers and surveyors;
- insurance agents and brokers;
- real estate agents and brokers;
- municipalities, public officials, police and prisons;
- sports, entertainment and recreational venues;
- shipping, transportation and material handlers;
- schools and universities; and
- manufacturers, distributors and retailers.
First-Party Claims Services
The firm also provides representation to insurers adjusting complicated first-party claims, including fire, theft and storm-related damage claims.
Claim Monitoring Services
In times of reduced staffing, Gawthrop Greenwood assists insurers with the development and implementation of efficient claim monitoring systems.
Prompt, Thoughtful Evaluations with Cost Effective Results
We recognize that the client’s bottom line is often measured by the early identification and resolution of high liability claims. For this reason, we have assembled a team of skilled trial attorneys who:
- implement effective liability and damages assessments and case management systems;
- work closely with clients to develop litigation plans that make sense for the risks presented and the value of each case; and
- utilize internal monitoring procedures which assure that every file is handled in compliance with agreed plans and reporting requirements.
In matters involving serial claims, we work closely with in-house counsel as coordinating counsel or local counsel to deliver a unified defense and consistent trial/settlement positions.
Coverage and Bad Faith Defense
Our attorneys also have extensive experience in representing insurance carriers in coverage and “bad faith” matters. We serve as coverage and litigation counsel on issues of bad faith, duty to defend, late notice, reservations of rights, right to separate counsel, settlement within policy limits and consent to settle. We regularly speak on effective claims handling in the training of claims professionals.
Representative Trials and Settlements
- Defense verdicts in various med/mal jury trials, including alleged failure to diagnose/misdiagnosis, transcription and medication errors, and lack of informed consent;
- Defense verdict in construction site death case;
- Finding for licensed psychologist following lengthy hearing before Pennsylvania Board of Psychology seeking to revoke license for alleged inappropriate relationship with client in treatment;
- Coordinating counsel for major target in asbestos-in-buildings litigation, including defense of class actions;
- Coordinating counsel for settlement and trial of claims against major highway construction contractor;
- Mediated settlements and arbitrations of construction defect claims involving multiple contractors and design professionals;
- Numerous trials, settlements and summary judgment dispositions of various Civil Rights Act cases, including prison suicides, search and seizure, police excessive force/failure to train, Voting Rights Act litigation, age/race/sex discrimination and wrongful termination in employment, Americans with Disabilities Act and municipal restrictions on land use;
- Favorable settlements and dismissals of alleged bad faith claims involving UM/UIM, first-party and med/mal claims;
- Successful defense of insurer’s entitlement to one year statute of limitation for action on policy in New Jersey;
- Prosecute various insurance fraud cases with awards of attorney’s fees for insurer; and
- Defense of premises liability actions against municipalities and self-insured private facilities.